Words of the Wise
Rules of Play
Ages 8 & up
2 or More Players
- 110 Cards
- Cards: Separate Wise Alec Cards from Words of the Wise Cards. Shuffle Words of the Wise deck together and place them in a pile.
- Keep Wise Alec Cards separate to distribute for each round.
- To be the first player or team to reach the targeted point value.
HOW TO PLAY
- Determine the amounts of points required to win the game, point totals can differ for each player or team if playing with varying ages. Suggestion to earn 100 points to win.
- Option 1: Pick up a card from the top of the deck. Each player in clockwise succession gives a word in alphabetic order (A to Z) relating to the category. If a player gets stumped they are eliminated from this round. Last player standing wins the points posted on the card. ( Standard rules)
- Option 2: Players may choose to play standard, challenge or speed round. Each player can choose which format to play on their turn. Turn the card over then decide which style to play.
- Speed Round: each player takes a pen and paper and on the word of “go” each player writes down in alphabetic order all the words they can relate to the category. First person to call out “time” stops the clock. The person with the most acceptable answers and the shortest time wins the point.
- Challenge Round: player must complete entire alphabet of subject on their own to receive points.
WISE ALEC CARDS
- Wise Alec cards may be used during game play. Mix the cards and pass out one card to each player for each round of play. The card may be used only once but can also be retained for future rounds.
- Pass: Use to pass on a subject or one turn.
- Skip: Use this card to skip one letter ahead in the alphabet
- Multiple Skip: Use this card to skip more than one letter – go to the next letter in category you know.
- Last Letter: the word chosen may end with the letter.
- Reverse: may repeat the same letter that your neighbor used.